Tuesday, September 25, 2007

studio 08:progress plan... much closer this time

Okay another iteration of the first floor. Next focus needs to be on lower and second floor... then updating model so that I can generate some sections, elevations, and roof/site plans. Refer to comments on previous post. I have eliminated the corridor along the back of the studios. It created more issues than it solved and I do not feel it helps the design overall. The door to the support spaces located at the back of studio 1 creates an implied circulation along the shell that can be used by the students. Each studio space is divided by mobile translucent shoji screen that allows for different configuarations of the three spaces. All three can be opened and combined into one larger space and beyond into the exhibit/flex space. In my mind, this type of open learning and flexibile utility embodies the essence of a design studio. It encourages contact with peers and the sharing of ideas. Traditional classroom settings would be accommodated at the main BAC building on the occassions that it may be needed.


3 comments:

werner said...

Rick, I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this is way better...
Only the double columns could disapear for my taste.

rbutera said...

In the end, it is worth going through. I definitely think it is much much much better than before and I am pretty satisfied with it up to this point. The column grid spacing could definitely use another go around...

rbutera said...

... that along with the structure of the student lounge as it breaks and peels back from the main shell.