Tuesday, August 14, 2007

arch tech: 02

Ecological footprint

























My initial thought regarding the eco quiz is to question its validity. How accurate is something like this? What resources/formulas determine the scores? It seems to me that broad gestures of this type could be useful to introduce the concepts of our individual impact upon the planet. Which is a good start.

I am one of those people who have never seriously considered their personal footprint. I have a tendancy to take everything I see or read in the mass media with a grain of salt (or two) and not buy into hype or overstated editorial opinions which twist or bend data to support their own hypothesis. Not that I necessarily think they are wrong or do not believe them, I need to understand it for myself and draw my own conclussions. As such, it takes time for me form an informed opinion - which I have not yet done on this subject.

All of that said, I do practice some very basic things as far as being "green". Although I drive an SUV, my daily round trip commute is less than 10 miles a day. Because I need to take my two children (soon to be three!) to preschool, bicycling or motorcycle is not an option. A larger vehicle is a necessity for our growing family. I am very interested in the flex fuel vehicles and ethanol. Those require quite a financial investment when purchasing a new vehicle, so we will see. Public transportation is not an option in this little bedroom community unless I worked in downtown Toledo or in another suburb. We use a programmable thermostat to limit the amount of energy need to heat and cool our home when no one is here. We also utilize curb side recycling of plastic bottles, newspaper, and yard waste.

Well... that's my eco footprint in a nutshell.

Flex fuel and E85

3 comments:

Ken Ballard said...

interesting... another appeareant single floor plate design... As I mentioned to Paul does this program allow for vertical programing?

Ken Ballard said...

i left this on the wong post.... i must be getting tired... time for bed.

Tim Shremshock said...

You are right, it is hard to take everything seriously when the media floods the airways. But don't use too much salt. Our lives are so short on this planet we are naturally short sighted. (And the political/economical agendas that are bandied around make it even more difficult). Its hard not to be. I am not suggesting that you are short sighted. I am saying it is hard for us to "see" the damage we do when it happens so slowly in our own lives.

Just say no to the Lorax.